Good news. I called to check on the latest test results today and heard Mitchell tested normal against all related conditions. The more "normals" the better, of course. Today also brought his best therapy session in more than a week. The physical therapist pointed out that Mitchell gets upset almost immediately upon our handing him over to her. She wondered if it is his version of stranger anxiety which is developmentally appropriate so we'll go with that for now.
We also went to see Mitchell's ophthalmologist, Dr. Bonsal. This meeting was probably our best with him. Yet disappointingly, he didn't notice any change in Mitchell's eyesight. He reviewed all notes and tests concluding we should get a second neurological opinion as he felt there should be some reason for Mitchell's hypomylenation (decreased amount of white matter in his brain for his age.) He was extremely empathetic sharing our frustration in not having any explanation. When all else fails, I'll take humility and straightforwardness any day - I'd rather him say he doesn't know then knee jerk and tell us something off base just to sound like the expert, leaving us in a tailspin of worry.
For now, I pledge against that cycle of worry since nothing good ever comes from fear. Instead I'm deciding to focus on having practical hope and faith for all of our futures.
Until the next doctor visit...
No comments:
Post a Comment