Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Awaiting GI

Mitchell is still not doing well in the heat and now he's got a virus on top of it all. I decided to take him to his pediatrician’s office last night just so we weren’t missing an ear infection or strep or something.

I broke down crying which I don’t usually do. She said it’s because I instinctively know something has to change. Working harder to “fix” Mitchell isn’t working and our efforts are wearing us down. He does have a red throat, but she thinks a small virus is just the icing on the situation. He’s lost weight and she has now reclassified him as “failure to thrive”. He is not able to sustain growth on the pureed foods we can get him to eat. Almost a month ago now, he's refused to drink from a bottle. Syringing liquids into his mouth isn't helping to keep up his calories, although he has not been dehydrated.

She gave us 2 options. We could go straight to Children’s hospital from her office or have them call the GI Mitchell regularly sees in the morning. If we couldn't get in with him or a colleague, we would take him to Children’s this afternoon or evening only putting it off for one day. I called Chris and we decided on the later. We see a wonderful GI and coincidentally I had called his office today and left a message for his nurse about the concerns.

I have a feeling a feeding tube is in his (our) future. I am not happy about that, but feel pacified a bit with an action at hand.

Sometimes it's strange to share things with so many people this way. I guess one plus is that it provides friends and family specific information on which to pray. Many of you ask for that. And this one is a biggie. Please pray for Mitchie to drink, eat, sleep and feel healthy, and especially calm his GI tract.

Will keep all updated.

No comments: