I ask myself a lot whether Luke really is a lot like me or whether I just choose to see the ways that he demonstrates my traits. Yes, he's organized like me - just today at the Museum Center, he lined up all the bulldozers in the sand in a very neat row. Yes, he's a bit competitive - fine when we're playing games but he'll even boast, "I win, I win" if he gets done washing his hands first when we're out together. He also goes to sleep at the drop of a hat. Well I admit to being more tired since having kids but that one is all Daddy!
Here's one way he is not like me at all and frankly it's really embarrassing. Luke has known his left from his right since he was 2. I didn't know my left and right until 1st or 2nd grade! No one showed me the little trick of holding up your left hand and seeing how its thumb and pointer make an "L" for left. In fact, in kindergarten I was terribly humiliated for an ENTIRE YEAR by my gym teacher's writing "L" and "R" on the appropriate toe of my gym shoes in permanent marker.
Anyway, of course I'm a proud mom all the time, but now you know why I'm especially so when Luke directs our driving course from the back seat. "Go right here, mommy...turn left...red light, stop!" At least his knowing his left and right will mean no scarlet letters on his shoes when he starts school. Although it is possible the way kids learn earlier now, he'll need to be doing quadratic equations then. And of course he's not there. Yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment