I hesitated calling for MRI results half worried nothing would be notable and half worried we'd get partial info on something new sending me into an internet search frenzy. The scan's results were to be done in 24 hours, but it took me until today to call. "The MRI is consistent with the last scan". And, "The spectroscopy and other metabolic tests already in are normal." Chris already sensed nothing much would result since we weren't proactively contacted by the doctor's office, seeming it okay to wait until our next appointment for explanation. The kind nurse told me they were still waiting on the additional tests being done on Mitchell's muscle sample. So kind of a downer as we were so hopeful we'd get a test that was abnormal in order to direct us somehow.
This came after a consultation with Cincinnati Children's Pearlman Center today. This center used to be located in the hospital, but run by United Cerebral Palsy Foundation. Now it's been absorbed into the hospital itself. It offers a more holistic approach to therapy in a group classroom setting bringing in occupational, physical and speech therapy into what would be a 2 day a week "preschool" for Mitchell. A social worker, the teacher, an OT, PT and ST all held Mitchell and asked a lot of questions trying to assess 1) whether he'd be a fit for their early intervention program and 2) whether any adaptive devices that would help his abilitation. Their input was fairly positive, except it was akin to a job interview - we weren't told on the spot whether Mitchell would be accepted as a candidate or not. They are to get back to us in a few days. Another opportunity to think the worst. How terrible to consider being at the very bottom of the developmentally challenged list.
One of the evaluators was encouraging saying we were in good hands with our new neurologist. In fact, she has a child with metabolic issues that sees him as well. She said he's very thorough and has transformed her child's life with supplements, etc. After hearing that, I was even more excited to see what the tests had to say.
Then our nanny called late in the day saying Mitchell had a fever and had a substantial bloody nose. We took him to the doctor tonight. Pneumonia.
Thursday Chris is taking Mitchell to get fitted for a wheelchair the 2nd time around.
Are you seeing there are more downs than ups? Or so it seems. I admit to being a little more down than usual. I have been feeling very apprehensive about Mitchell's upcoming birthday, focusing on what he can't do at age 2 instead of being positive and focusing on what he can do and how far he has come. He's 2 and can't sit, stand, talk or feed himself for crying out loud!! I only share this to be honest. I/we don't have it all together all the time. I thank everyone for their support and feel like I might need just a wee more of it during the next couple of weeks.
Praying for more ups than downs!
2 comments:
You are absolutely normal with your feelings. Who wouldn't feel the same way? But I tell you, from someone who only sees Mitchell once a week or less, the improvements we have seen over the past 6 months are outstanding.
Remember, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, that is the nature of this game. It may seem that you are receiving more steps back than forward, but I don't believe that is the case. Mitchell is not regressing, he is just not moving forward as quickly as you would like.
I have never been around a child that stirs more love in everyone who comes in contact with him.
I am embarrassed to tell you that we often have to watch the clock on Sundays, so we all have our "fair share" of time with him. We all want OUR own time to hold and love on him. For that hour, he belongs to US and we love him.
I tell you again, Mitchell is a special child in ways we can't even begin to describe or explain.
It is OK to feel frustrated and sad. It will make the happy times, that much happier.
Hang in there, God has his hand on Mitchell and your family. I am sure of that.
Love,
Shelley
Shelley - thanks so much for coming into our lives and being such an amazing encourager! We receive all your blessings for our family. Love you!!
Post a Comment