Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Mom Brand



(may want to turn off music on playlist at bottom)

Have you seen this? It's funny. Makes me think of something I've been pondering..."What's my mom brand?"

What is a brand exactly? Some of my definitions: a sign or symbol; a collection of perceptions; a set of assets…or liabilities; a promise. In sum a brand is...whatever people say it is.

I always ask people at work - especially interviewees - "What is your personal brand?" or to help them, "What are you known for?" (BTW, worst answer so far was "I'm like a Hershey's Kiss - just too sweet." Blech!) I can answer that myself pretty well in the professional area of my life. It dawned on me it was time to formalize my persona when it comes to my children.

I think some families do this as a whole. I've seen personal mission statements typed up and framed in some homes. In a way, they are determining their brand.

So what is my mom brand? It's definitely different than it would have been if Mitchell would have been typical and that's a good thing. I'm certain my perspective is less on achievement and more on acceptance than it might have been. I surprise myself that while I instill a routine and put emphasis on safety, I'm not that strict. I hear myself say sometimes, "I believe in moderation."

Since I am trying to figure this out, I decided to do what a good marketer would do...go to the customer. So recently when Luke and I were having some one on one time I asked him some questions including, "Luke, how would you describe your mommy?"

No answer. Try again.

"What does mommy mean to you?", "What do I teach you?"

Silence.

Desperate I asked him whether he was understanding God was most important, that our family always loves or that it's important to try no matter what the outcome may be...

He looked up. A teenager-like response: "Mom, I know all those things."

"Did you learn those things from me?"

He said confidently, "No, I'm teaching myself those things."

Duh.

Made me wonder...what if I'm so brilliant my mom brand involves a remarkable ability to persuade Luke to behave correctly and make wise choices all while having him believe it's his own doing?

Some of this was confirmed by "competitive research" - in other words I asked Chris or "Dad". When I asked him what my mom brand is, he said that I'm very patient and smart when it comes to dealing with the boys. (Me, patient???? I'll take it!!)

Of course the obvious question to you...what's your brand?

On a related note, here are a couple of my favorite branding sites for more inspiration: http://www.brandtags.net
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/10/brandyou.html

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I love it! When the girls where a bit older then Luke, I think they were about 15 and 10 I had them take magazines and cut out pictures and words that describe the type of Mom/person that they see me as. I think working with cutouts helped them find what they were looking for. I then took what they cut you and glued them to a piece of material and I have it hanging over my desk at home. Very motivational for me, I learned alot about myself and I think it was good for the girls to help identify how they see their Mom. Thanks for sharing this>