Saturday, July 23, 2011

19 Years and Still Going Strong

I try very hard not to bring work over to my personal blog. But I think my 19th year anniversary with the company is reason to give my company, Paycor, a little shout out. Plus I don't share this blog publicly.

19 years is a long time to be at a company these days. Over that history I've been lucky to lead and perform many different functions from sales and marketing to operations and IT/product development. In 1992 when I started I was the 11th employee - number 22, my lucky number. I have the 5th most tenure in the company with headcount today around 600 across 20 U.S. cities. Things change at Paycor regularly, but the reasons I'm still there are: I'm challenged, I'm listened to and the company demonstrates genuine commitment to its guiding principles that align with my own values.

One of the most fun things I get to do is help organize an annual event purposed to kick off our selling year (July - June). All the salespeople and client services leaders spend a couple days in training, but on one of the nights we have a huge recognition event followed by an after party. This year's event was held this week. The overall theme for the event was "X-factor" taking a cue from the likes of American Idol and Simon Cowell's new upcoming show with the same title. When attendees arrived we made them feel like stars walking them through a red carpet line then took their pictures in front of a "step and repeat" logoed backdrop. We hired my favorite local band, the Rusty Griswalds, to play. Of course everyone loved them - they are the best 80's cover band! (Many of my friends recall this being sort of my house band as Chris hired them to play at my 40th birthday party! Fun!)

The lead singer's company just became a Paycor client. He cited a video I helped make as one of the reasons. This was done for last year's company kick off event when our theme was "Drive" - it was inspired by the viral video Toyota created for their Sienna Minivan called "Swagger Wagon". I'm sharing this because I'm very proud Paycor submitted this video for an award and we beat out the likes of the very cool design firm X-plane and American Express! More on that here: http://www.paycor.com/payrollin
(be sure to stop the music player first)




Oh yeah, I hope you noted my title credit..."Executive Producer". When we won I shared the video with my mom by email. She replied, "I love the video. What exactly does and executive producer do?" What a funny mom line!

One more thing work-related to share. I'm scheduled to speak at this year's Bold Fusion event in Cincinnati targeted at more than 400 young professionals. I'm on a panel talking about creativity on demand and in a more traditional financial services workplace. The half day event is being led off by creativity-guru and friend, Todd Henry who just had his first book released! Impressive. I encourage you to purchase this book. I've had Todd speak to my fellow executives at Paycor and at our client conference - his insights never disappoint!


The Accidental Creative: How To Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice from Accidental Creative on Vimeo.

I am going to have an opportunity to speak on work matters more at a blog being created at Paycor.com. Thanks for letting me indulge here for a change!

No comments: