It's so hard to list everything we did...we nearly did it all. From museums, a Cubs/White Sox game and the beach to the Taste of Chicago, an upscale steak dinner and 2 boat rides, we found the city so kid friendly. But a handicapped-friendly city? Not at all. You take buses, trains and taxis. And one minute you are walking on a street and next thing you know you are on a lower level with a street above you requiring you to take stairs to get back to where you thought you were. When we are on our respite trip, we actually seek out a more complicated environment so we can do things we usually cannot. For us, it was perfect.
Hopefully these picture collages give you an idea of our experience, not to mention the fun I'm having with my newest camera lens purchase!





By the way, she is even prettier in person:

The ominous sky as we drove into town. It cleared up beautifully, only to bring in 90+ degree heat. Then while at the baseball game, the temps dropped to the 70's in under an hour. Best of all, no rain to speak of!

There were a couple times on the trip sadness hit me. I saw 2 boys close in age conversing with their parents at breakfast. How I wished that was my two. At a park I was behind a dad starting a running race on the sidewalk with his two boys, again close in age. How I wished my two could run alongside their daddy.
These moments are fleeting. Actually I surprise myself all the time how quickly I bounce back from these flashes of what could be. Our normal is different and I have accepted it. How lucky we are to be able to take a break and recharge to keep going.
We had such an enjoyable time full of freedom and late nights, we could have stayed longer, but we wanted to get home to see Mitchell too. When I swept him into my arms, there was not a flicker of recognition. But when Chris, Luke and I rolled around with Mitchell on the floor getting him to smile, I knew we were home.
No comments:
Post a Comment