Saturday, August 20, 2011

Figuring out Football

In the Browning house the idea of football has seemed better than all the details around Luke's actually practicing and playing. But with his first game today, we're feeling better about it.

First, I did not expect football to be so time consuming. Practices have been 3 and 4 times per week. It's been hot so Chris and I split practice duty so one of us stays home with Mitchell. Luke never complains about the work or the temperature. He has on a few occasions complained about tackling - yes, that's what football is generally about. He has a good coach who is both intense and encouraging. Luke likes to please, but he is more timid than most. He teared up before the game saying he was afraid.

It's also not been without controversy. Our town hasn't been able to field a 5-6 year old team, so they've combined the 5-6 team with the 7 year old team, while also joining with Mariemont, the next town over. This week we learned all season they will be playing 7 year old teams. Gulp, my guy who is just turning 6 always across from bigger and stronger guys. Still that wouldn't be so bad except for most of our team's 7 year olds have been practicing since the start with the 8 year old team expecting to play with them. Our team's parents have been upset, but then today on game day all the 7 year olds were "sent back" to play on our team.

I didn't plan on having to face ethical dilemmas when I signed up Luke up for this. It's been clear to him and the other boys someone was trying to break the rules. Then all of a sudden kids he's never practiced with are suddenly controlling the field. With all this swirling, Chris, Luke and I agreed we'd see how the game went then talk about where to go from here.

Luke was put into the game against Sycamore 4 times, once each quarter. Especially at first he played on the line and held his guy at bay. He may not aggressively hit but I was proud he was always the first one in position on the line first with hands on his knees then in his 3-point stance. At the end of the game, coming off the field having been given a can of celebratory grape pop, he said decisively "I liked the game." You could tell he had found some sort of swagger. He played just the right amount for him.

So we're all figuring this out. Taking it practice by practice and now game by game. For me, it's stretching the mom-has-to let-go muscle and you can bet I'm praying all the time for his safety and peace!

Photobucket

Luke's #23 and you can see he's the first one poised for action:
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: