Time for a report on precious Mitchell. He's been on seizure medicine for over a month. We upped the dosage a little so now we rarely see his visible seizures. He sleeps more - back to 2 naps during the day and sound sleeping at night. That part is wonderful! He is up over 25 pounds and is eating and drinking better so we've held off on a feeding tube for him. He spends the days in various sitting and rolling positions, walking in his gait trainer, hanging around in his bouncer and going to the Conductive Learning Center for therapy 2 days a week. Yesterday the boys went to pick pumpkins and go on a hay ride with Mitchell's therapy classmates.
This week I met with the social worker provided to us by our county to talk about Mitchell's transition out of their early intervention program and into public preschool. I was asked lots of questions about Mitchell's development. A home visit from school officials is next, then we're to visit the school once they do their assessment of what services they can provide Mitchell. I won't lie, this is a painful process. He is a sweet, adorable and lovable boy, but his skills are so very immature. It's hard not being able to give much of a response to...
"What does he like to play with?"
"What do you like to do together as a family?" (I always answer "SNUGGLE" - it's true!)
"What challenges does he have with mobility?"
"How does he demonstrate cognitive ability?"
"What does he struggle to do independently?" (EVERYTHING!)
Of course, what's not asked or implied is what makes these things awkward..."What is the future for my child?!!!"
I did have a specific answer when asked about goals for school. That is it's more important to me that he have dedicated attention at his level versus being included in a class of kids his age propped up in his chair while the focus is on the active children.
As far as medical visits, Mitchell has to return to his neurologist in November, he sees his ophthalmologist and goes to Cleveland Clinic for a spinal tap in December.
I saved the most important thing to say about Mitchie for last. He is now generally a happy boy! He smiles a lot and laughs more - Daddy especially knows the tricks for getting him to laugh. His breathholds happen, but not even daily. We take him out a lot in his wheelchair and we can just focus on being together. I still hug him every night, tell him I love him and pray for a recovery. But I'd say, all things considered, we are coping and becoming a very happy family.
2 comments:
Oh, how I miss my little Mitchie.
He stirs such strong emotions in me, and touches me in ways I cannot explain. He is such a special boy. I love him as if he was part of my very own family.
I am thrilled to know he is more content now. I bet I would be happier, too, if I could go back to 2 naps a day! :)
Much love to all of you,
Shelley
I'm so glad to hear that Mitchell has been doing well lately!
Happy Halloween!!
Post a Comment