Monday, January 4, 2010

Childhood Memory

I read a post somewhere that said your favorite childhood memory tells you what you truly value in life. This has been a good discussion starter. I am lucky to have had a great childhood and many, many great memories come to mind.

One that sticks out is when my dad gave me a ceramic heart for Valentine's Day. It was small, red with white writing on it that said something like, "To my special girl". As might happen with any young child, I quickly broke the heart once it was in my possession. My dad rushed out and got me a replacement. As a parent I now realize I may very well been hysterical and getting another the only way to diffuse my disappointment. Still to me, this experience was a love-language trifecta involving encouraging words, an act of service and a gift! I value all these things.

Chris said his favorite childhood memory was playing football on his street. He agreed it relates to his like of healthy competition and team camaraderie. I should mention he lived in Dayton and his family lived near the Herbstreit Family so he was playing neighborhood football with none other than Kirk Herbstreit of Ohio State/ESPN broadcaster fame!

What's your favorite childhood memory? Does it represent what you value even today?

My hope is that we are creating a gazillion wonderful memories for our boys!

No comments: