Tuesday, January 19, 2010

School in Fall or Wait a Year?

I know I've been bending plenty of people's ears on this dilemma. Chris and I are trying to decide whether Luke should start Kindergarten in the Fall. His preschool teacher says he's ready - among the best early "readers" (sight words at this point) and socially adept. She says he focuses well and would do well to progress. She doesn't want him to get bored. I so value her opinion and know Luke's readiness has a ton to do with the school's academic focus. We are raving fans of his preschool (www.creativetots.com) He recently told me winter reminded him of Greenland and Antarctica for crying out loud!!!

But.....most boys wait until they are turning 6 to start school. Luke has an early August birthday. Even though he's ready, do we wait to send him in preparation of the long term? Chris waited and thought it was right for him maturity and sports-wise. Everyone seems to wait these days.

If he waits, we can keep him at his preschool or have considered looking into private kindergartens.

We are torn. I've been told, "You'll know." I don't know!!!! I'm a working mom and my knowledge of kindergarten readiness signs is limited for sure! Perspective welcome.

1 comment:

Shelley :) said...

Hi Stacie,
I would wait. As the mother of 2 boys, I would wait. Just my opinion. I had a friend that did 2 years of kindergarten at 2 different places.
Just thought I would weigh in. How's my Mitchie? I miss him.