Saturday, January 8, 2011

Learned Optimism

I recently got invited to a seminar targeted to parents with special needs children headlined, "Learned Optimism..." Common sense tells you what this is about. The strange thing is if you asked me how I'm doing right now regarding Mitchell I'd tell you I've faced it's our normal. And so we are doing well, having fun and all that. My reaction, then, to the seminar was that I really didn't need that type of course. I already mastered the likely material.

What I'm more proud of is that Luke doesn't need the seminar either. Not too long ago I asked him how he was feeling about having a brother who is different. (I check in with him every so often just in case he wants talk about something.)

While I know he really would like, as he says, "another kid in our family." In that moment, he replied, "It's great. Not every family gets to have a baby all the time."

I hope I'm teaching and we're all learning to be optimistic.

No comments: