This year focused on how we all have a special role in the "Body of Christ". Lots of opportunity to connect with our family and others. We love it all!
Here we are part of the Brown team, "The Honey Badgers" - yes inspired by the You Tube classic unbeknown to Chris and most of the children. We were fierce in our own minds. The games throughout the weekend are a ton of fun - from relays to tug of war to egg tossing.
There's also time for worship and singing. And other reflective time. We "marked" the body with a family tattoo on a mannequin at one point. And wrote words of encouragement to all the families we know well who were also there. So much to do it's actually quite tiring!
I tend to like the party Sunday night the best. This year's theme was Carnivale. We dressed up in colorful clothes, masks and feathers. Limbo-ed, ate snow cones and other activities. The party was followed by a night hike through the woods. We really love how our friends organize this. Great memories!
You're probably wondering what Mitchell was up to while we partied, sweat and swam. Mitchell had an opportunity to stay for the weekend at a respite home specifically for disabled people. It was quite pricey, but it was good to try it out. He seemed to enjoy it, but was absolutely exhausted by the time we brought him home. The nurses said he did better than most first-timers. They also said he was "nosy", especially at night. When they came in to turn, change or check in on his roommate, he seemed to wake up calm, wondering what was going on. It's always so funny to hear how others describe Mitchell's personality! I've never thought of him able to be nosy. Then again I grew up with my mom calling me "Nosy Rosy" so it should not surprise me that he's more like me than I thought!
While we would have loved to have our whole family at Family Camp, the temps were in the 90's...not good for Mitchell. And being more free to come and go really gave Chris and I the chance to connect with people better. I know I was able to be more present and relaxed not having to always have to be managing Mitchell's needs. Having Mitchell be well cared for for the weekend really worked out.
Well, he's singing/squeaking now in his chair. Better go check in on him!
Last year's Family Camp highlights HERE.


No comments:
Post a Comment