Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Competition We Don't Want to Win

I got a lot of comments about my "My Disease" post on comparison-itis from June 2008. Lately I'm noticing a new kind of competition. Sometimes special needs parents compare abilities of their children and brag, boast, lament to position themselves as "worse off". Ugly, huh? I don't think this is deliberate or conscious. It starts harmless like, "We go to X hours of therapy a week." "We've been hospitalized 8 times this year." I've even noticed some angling when it comes to relationships with shared doctors. Implied is, "Our care is better."

I admit it's hard to keep "we" and "our" out of phrases when you discuss the health situation of your non-verbal, non-ambulatory child. You are him to some extent. When HE isn't doing well...WE aren't doing well. Shouldn't everyone know about OUR problems and how lucky YOU are you don't deal with this?

The reforming Cincinnati Mito Group cautioned we not let that attitude seep into the group, then I heard of this type of comparison permeating a particular Mito conference. One dad said it best, "Debating over whose child is worse off is a competition I don't want to win." Profound.

Yet, I've judged myself. I've responded to conversations about parents with Down Syndrome kids..."Lucky dogs." I'd love a precious child who can walk and talk, to whom we could connect better! With whom Luke could play.

Upon receiving an invite for a special families conference, I scoffed at the advertised keynotes from speakers with learning disabilities. "Errr, they are SPEAKERS, how bad is that disability?"

Forgive me for this thinking. I have repeatedly been reminded everyone is facing some sort of struggle visible or unseen. My family's situation should not be considered more or less difficult. It's just our family. I should be nothing less than grateful for the perspective our experience has given us on what truly matters. And comparison still does not matter.

I will note that having gone without a diagnosis for so long for Mitchell, I feel for the inappropriate situations when parents, especially moms, have been wrongly accused of having Muchausan by proxy syndrome. They are vocally advocating for their child's complex case without understanding. I can't imagine how hard not being believed or heard would be and would talk non-stop about how bad it is too in that case.

When I go to the bitter-side, I reflect...caring for Mitchell is not my identity. No more than Luke or Chris is or work is. My life is rich from those around me, but my worth...my self...is actualized through God, in whom I put my faith and through whom this situation is ordained. But if you push me to it, I might just find it cathartic to vent a bit about how hard being a special needs mom can be!

4 comments:

Heather said...

"a competition I don't want to win"....no kidding. As well as profound.

I've said time and time again that all it takes is a walk through our children's hospital to gain perspective.

I have a friend who posts a quote online under her signature on a forum....

"Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"--Plato

Isn't it the truth? I have my days where I think similar thoughts however. We are by no means perfect. Thank God for grace.

Unknown said...

Stacey,

I was reading the Columbus Dispatch tonight and reading the forum section with various writers. Read a piece that was so consistent with the message in this latest blog entry! It was so weird--like I was reading it again! Then I read that she is a writer for the Cinci Enquirer! Do you know Deborah Kendrick? I almost emailed her about your blog but then thought not. Your blog piece was great...I don't know how you do all and are still able to think about all! You amaze me!

Shelley B said...

Oh Stacey,
I don't know how you do it really. I think you handle your challenges with grace and style.
I know I have no idea what you have to deal with on a day to day basis, but I do know that Mitchie, Luke and Chris are VERY lucky boys!!!
Love you,
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
We all run into people like this but there comes a time when I just have to not go around such people, thats why sometimes I shy away from support groups or conferences.
I don't focus on how many therapies Sky has or how many dr.'s he seen and I say to the people that do, focus on what is positive and giving your child what they need which is love and having their needs met with understanding.
We all need to vent don't get me wrong but if you do it too much, then it consumes you. New to your blog but loving what I read. Thanks Penny