I worry my posts are hard to read. You let me know on that. But in my attempts to be a clear communicator in this blog world, here's my approach:
- I post a lot of pictures. People like pictures. Especially family and friends who don't see us much. Case in point, I save every Christmas card that comes with a photo. I pitch the other ones. (If you send one sans photo, don't worry. I hang it up and truly enjoy it for its season!)
- I don't start a post in the middle of a conversation - you will be confused. It is not redundant to frame the discussion topic even though you get inside my head regularly at It's Browning.
- I mix up more reflective and introspective posts with shorter or frivolous messages. That way you don't think I'm overly self-consumed or worse, depressed.
- I do not post large blocks of text. Or at least I try not to. It's too hard to read! This is my biggest pet peeve about other sites. (Is a long bulleted list a large block of text?)
- I sometimes don't care about typos or grammar issues. In real life I care a great deal about these thigns, but sometimes not time to edat when u'r poring your sole out.
- I attempt to insert posts occasionally with helpful hints or neat sites I've found. Other moms/bloggers sell things or showcase their crafts.
- Rarely I've included a post written by others. I'd love to do this more. If you are interested in submitting a post, just email me.
- I break the rules I know about consistency and branding and change up the look of my site quite frequently. I rearrange my furniture a lot too. I hope maybe you are periodically surprised when you visit and the page looks different.
I saw these suggestions for blogging at: http://flowerdust.net/2010/01/06/how-to-be-the-most-awesomest-blogger-ever
Be engaging.
Make it thoughtful.
Be kind, and truthful.
And above everything else, show love.
But without being yourself, your blog will never be the best it can be.
I find when I'm bold enough to be transparent with our situation and my feelings on this blog, I somehow receive back a tangible hug in this virtual world - whether it be through an encouraging comment, an off the record email or an in person squeeze that comes just when I need it!
2 comments:
Whoops! Well, I post large blocks of text. I'm wordy like that. :)
By the way, I find your blog easy to read!
Post a Comment